Friday, May 11, 2012

I Spy Bag

Quick and affordable are some of my favourite words when it comes to crafting.  And for this I Spy bag, all materials came from the dollar store.

An I Spy bag is filled with filler (vase filler, rice, etc.) and lots of miscellaneous items.  Whatever you can find at the dollar store or thrift store.  Then play I Spy!  Ask your child to find an item in the bag.  Or just let them play by themselves.  They'll love it.  

It's great for toddlers and even older children (I can see my kiddo's uncle enjoying this very much). It's nice for sensory play, as well as vocabulary development.  It would also be a great road trip toy.
This is just what I had leftover!  


Materials:
One pencil case with clear opening 
Filler (vase filler, rice, etc.)
Pom poms
Googly eyes
Shapes
Erasers
Animals
Beads
Letters
...whatever you want!


Instructions:
(don't use a pencil case without a clear front...this was an
extra I had laying around)
1.  Turn your pencil case inside out.  Sew along the line (*see picture to the right), leaving 2 inches or so open.  (I would recommend a short stitch length, as you want to have this baby sewn up tightly).
2.  Cut off the excess above the sewing line (this will include the zipper).
3.  Turn the pencil case right side out.
4.  In a large bowl, add your filler and a few of each item you bought.
5.  Give it a mix with your hands.
6.  Carefully pour everything into the pencil case.
7.  Sew closed.
8.  Give to someone special. :)

2 comments:

  1. I love, love, love this idea!!! But i'm kind of mad....I just bought one for my classroom for $35 at an Educational store!! Such a super idea!!!

    ReplyDelete