Wednesday, April 4, 2012

A Polka-Dotted Birthday

How to start off a blog is an intimidating subject. Tone, subject, and direction are each critical elements, and to be honest, I haven’t decided firmly on any! So, the inaugural blog post here on Little Renn will be about something I’m particularly proud of. Something I’ve worked for months preparing and crafting for – a first birthday party!

My mother always threw great parties for us as kids and I knew I wanted to continue that tradition. For the theme, I chose polka-dots because there is a classic and timeless element to them (no Disney/TV/movie-themed stuff in our house!).

The Decorations
Tissue paper poms: These are fantastic. They’re pretty easy to make, look amazing, and are very versatile. We hung them above the couch and above the spread in the kitchen.

I managed to find tons of great (free!) printables on various websites, including a bunting banner, water bottle covers, tent cards, thank you tags, cupcake toppers & wrappers and more. I hope to soon create my own printables (and share with you!). It's amazing what people create and give away for free!




The Food
Oh, the food! We still have a fridge full! We had popcorn, fruit salsa with cinnamon chips, salted caramel cupcakes, hummus, cheesecake stuffed strawberries, cookies from Grandma Coco, candy, and more! We had a great 3-tier cake from Simply Delectable cakes. It made for quite a spread.

The Thank You’s!
We had a mostly adult guest list, so I wanted something appropriate and not junk that they would throw away.
I came across a great tutorial on The Cottage Home for coasters. I found some great scrapbook paper at Michael’s, and off we went! I even found little plastic footies at the dollar store. Tip from experience – use superglue to get those babies to stick!

We also gave out pink take-away containers to try and pawn leftovers off on the guests.

Final Note
Party planning is tons of fun, but TONS of WORK.
*Watch out for a comprehensive Polka-dot Party photo gallery!

2 comments:

  1. It was a lovely party! and this is a great blogging début!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were so impressed with Grandma's CoCo blog post on your party that when she suggested we drop in to visit your blog we couldn't resist! Congrats on getting started, all of those intruiging tab headings look like you will have lots of interesting posts. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete